Come join me for lunch for the Mad Hedge Fund Trader’s Global Strategy Update, which I will be conducting in Chicago on Friday, April 19, 2013. A three course lunch will be followed by a PowerPoint presentation and an extended question and answer period. I’ll be giving you my up to date view on stocks, [...]
About John Thomas
Global Market Comments December 31, 2012 (SPECIAL CHINA ISSUE) Featured Trades: (FXI), (BIDU), (BYDDF), (CHA), (CHL) (iShares FTSE Xinhua China 25 Index ETF Wisdom Tree Dreyfus China Yuan Fund ETF iShares FTSE China 25 Index Fund Baidu, Inc. BYD Co. Ltd. China Telecom Corp. China Mobile Ltd.
“To get rich is glorious!” said Deng Xiaoping, the Chinese general who launched the country’s modern economy in the seventies.
Global Market Comments December 28, 2012 Fiat Lux SPECIAL BATTERY ISSUE Featured Trades: (BYDDF), (SQM), (SNE), (GM), (XOM), (TSLA) BYD Co. Ltd. Sociedad Quimica Y Minera Sony Corp. General Motors Co. Exxon Mobil Corp. Tesla Motors Inc.
“Wow! So Goldman Sachs thinks this the Tablet is going to sell. I have the perfect Tablet. It is made out of steel and is powered by coal,” said Zachary Karabell, President of River Twice Research
“Unless developed economies learn to compete the old fashioned way – by making more goods and making them better, the smart money will continue to move offshore to Asia, Brazil, and other developing economies both in the asset and the currency space. The United States, in short, needs to make things, and not paper,” said [...]
These are indeed grim times. If you can’t make money selling Twinkies to Americans, then you better shut down, and fast. That was my conclusion on leaning that the venerable bakery company, Hostess, was liquidating in in the wake of failed union negotiations. I probably could not have made it through my Quantum Mechanics class [...]
Former stock trader, Yang Yanming, was recently executed by lethal injection for embezzling $9.52 million from Galaxy Securities during 1997 to 2003. The move was part of a broader effort by the Mandarins in Beijing to crack down on rampant corruption in the securities industry. Yanming never revealed where the money went, according to the [...]
The Western U.S. has found a new wrinkle in the housing collapse, where homeowners are desperately struggling to cut living costs to meet the next payments on their underwater houses. Raising horses can cost more than children, so Nevadans are turning them loose to join herds of wild mustangs, to dodge the $30,000 a year [...]
“It amazes me how quickly amnesia sets in,” said Stephen Crawford, former co-president of Morgan Stanley, about the willingness of hedge funds to re-leverage positions in these conditions.
When I was growing up in Los Angles during the fifties, the most exciting day of the year was when my dad took me to buy a Christmas tree. With its semi-desert climate, Southern California offered pine trees that were scraggly at best. So the Southern Pacific Railroad made a big deal out of bringing [...]
“This isn’t a choice between vanilla and chocolate folks, it’s all rocky road: a few marshmallows to get you excited before the elections, but with a lot of nuts to ruin the aftermath,” said the ever insightful, Bill Gross, at PIMCO.
Global Market Comments December 24, 2012 Featured Trades: (THE ENERGY CRUNCH), (NEW NUCLEAR POWER), (THE CHIHUAHUA GLUT)
I recently spent an evening with Ambassador Richard Jones, the Deputy Executive Director of the International Energy Agency in Paris, who had some eye-opening things to say about the energy space. The IEA was first set up as a counterweight to OPEC during the oil crisis in 1974, and has since evolved into a top [...]
“Those near 10% annualized yields in stocks and bonds are a thing of the past,” said Bill Gross, the managing direct and co-chief investment officer of the Newport Beach, CA based bond giant, PIMCO.
- Radio Show: Anthony Scaramucci of SkyBridge Capital Reviews Global Investment Scene May 24, 2013
- Follow Up to Trade Alert – (AAPL) May, 24, 2013 May 24, 2013
- May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013
- Updated 2013 Strategy Luncheon Schedule May 24, 2013
- A Tribute to a True Veteran May 24, 2013
- Update on The Mad Day Trader May 24, 2013
- May 24, 2013 – Quote of the Day May 24, 2013
- Trade Alert – (AAPL) May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013
- May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013
- July 8 London Strategy Luncheon May 23, 2013
- SOLD OUT! San Francisco November 4th Strategy Luncheon October 25, 2011
- My 2012-13 Stock Market Forecast. October 31, 2012
- Last Chance to Come Join Me for the Paris Strategy Luncheon – July 17, 2012 July 15, 2012
- Will Gold Coins Suffer the Fate of the $10,000 Bill? November 25, 2011
- My Personal Leading Economic Indicator November 25, 2011
- SOLD OUT! December 27 Chicago Strategy Luncheon December 22, 2011
- An Evening With the Chinese Intelligence Service December 25, 2011
- Take a Look at Occidental Petroleum (OXY) December 26, 2011
- Another Nail in the Euro Coffin January 16, 2012
- Sold Out! Las Vegas January 27, 2012 Strategy Luncheon January 23, 2012