I managed to catch up with my former white House Press Corp colleague, Helen Thomas, when her national book tour swung through San Francisco. At 91, Helen is the oldest and longest serving member of this esteemed group of journalists, and has the traditional right to ask the first question at each press conference. The [...]
About John Thomas
“When I came into Disney, it was a brand, yes, but a museum mostly. It was not all about Pinocchio and Snow White. We had to look forward,” said Michael Eisner, the former CEO of Walt Disney (DIS).
Global Market Comments November 16, 2012 Fiat Lux Featured Trades: (JANUARY 4, 2013 CHICAGO STRATEGY LUNCH), (A NOTE ON THE NOVEMBER OPTIONS EXPIRATION) (FXY), (CORN) (LUNCH WITH THE TREASURY SECRETARY) Currency Shares Japanese Yen Trust Teucrium Commodity Trust Corn Fund
Today, Friday, is the monthly options expiration, and we have a couple of positions that will expire in the money at their maximum value. One is the November (FXY) 11/$124-$127 bear put spread, where the underlying ETF closed at $120.88 on Thursday, so it will expire well in the money. It looks like Japan is [...]
When I wake up at 4:30 am each morning to check the overnight markets and review the opening salvo of incoming emails, I often have trouble focusing in my groggy, impaired state. So I had to blink twice when the first message in my inbox politely inquired if I had time to meet the Secretary [...]
“When there’s uncertainty, that’s when the best investment opportunities come up,” said George Roberts, co-CEO of private equity fund KKR.
Global Market Comments November 15, 2012 Fiat Lux Featured Trades: (TAKING OUT SOME FISCAL CLIFF INSURANCE), (SPY), (IWM), (NOTE TO MY TEXT ALERT USERS IN CHINA) (A QUICK NOTE ON OIL), (USO) S&P 500 SPDRs Russell 2000 iShares United States Oil Fund, LP
We are now deep into the fiscal cliff negotiations, which you can expect to be a total nightmare from a trading point of view. You can expect dueling headlines for the next month from both parties. One day they will be on, then off, then on again. There will be tons of posturing. A “light [...]
Please be aware that all SMS text messaging to China has been blocked until the 21st November 2012. This is due to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People’s Republic of China placing restrictions on the use of SMS messaging throughout the duration of the 18th National Congress of the Communist Party [...]
Everyone is stunned over how little oil has gone up in the wake of the Israeli air attacks on Gaza that killed the military leader of Hamas. The move was in retaliation for Hamas missile attacks on Israel. Israel has said the attacks will continue for another week. This comes on the heels of Israel’s [...]
“It takes a lot more courage and cunning to make money as a bear than a bull,” said Joseph P. Kennedy, first chairman of the SEC and father of president John F. Kennedy.
Global Market Comments November 14, 2012 Fiat Lux Featured Trades: (MY TAKE ON THE 2012 ELECTION)
Demographics were the big winner of the 2012 election. Those who understood the electoral consequences of this came up smelling like roses. Those who didn’t, now emit the pungent odor of rotten eggs. The implications for all of us are huge. The bottom line is that the United States is well on its way towards [...]
“What we got was a weak moderate candidate handpicked by the beltway elites and the country club establishment wing of the Republican Party. The presidential loss is totally on them,” said Jenny Beth Martin, national coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots.
Global Market Comments November 13, 2012 Fiat Lux Featured Trades: (ROMNEY SHOCK SENDS MARKETS SPILLING), (SPY), (VIX), (GLD), (FXY), (GOOG), (DIS), (ACI), (BTU), (WHAT’S GOING ON WITH APPLE?), (AAPL) S&P 500 SPDRs Volatility Index Randgold Resources Ltd. Currency Shares Japanese Yen Trust Google, Inc. Walt Disney Co. Arch Coal, Inc. Peabody Energy Corp.
- June 18, 2013 June 18, 2013
- Tuesday, July 2 New York Strategy Seminar June 18, 2013
- The High Oil Mystery June 18, 2013
- Decoding What’s in Your Pocket June 18, 2013
- Scam of the Week June 18, 2013
- June 18, 2013 – Quote of the Day June 18, 2013
- June 17, 2013 June 17, 2013
- July 12 Amsterdam Strategy Luncheon June 17, 2013
- An Environmental Activist’s Take on the Markets June 17, 2013
- Business is Booming at the Money Printers June 17, 2013
- SOLD OUT! San Francisco November 4th Strategy Luncheon October 25, 2011
- My 2012-13 Stock Market Forecast. October 31, 2012
- Last Chance to Come Join Me for the Paris Strategy Luncheon – July 17, 2012 July 15, 2012
- August 9, 2013, Zermatt, Switzerland Global Strategy Seminar June 3, 2013
- Will Gold Coins Suffer the Fate of the $10,000 Bill? November 25, 2011
- My Personal Leading Economic Indicator November 25, 2011
- SOLD OUT! December 27 Chicago Strategy Luncheon December 22, 2011
- An Evening With the Chinese Intelligence Service December 25, 2011
- Take a Look at Occidental Petroleum (OXY) December 26, 2011
- Another Nail in the Euro Coffin January 16, 2012