Mad Hedge Hot Tips
September 24, 2018
The Five Most Important Things That Happened Today
(and what to do about them)
1) China Cancels Trade Talks, and markets hate it, delivering the worst trading day this month. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. Are U.S. technology companies the next target? Buy the Volatility Index (VIX) on dips. Click here.
2) Hurricane Florence Bill to Hit $50 Billion, and very few of the 250,000 homes damaged or destroyed had flood insurance. That means a local recovery in the economy will be muted. Click here.
3) Barrick Gold (ABX) Buys Randgold (GOLD), creating the world’s largest gold miner. Both stocks pop big time. Deals like this are often a sign of a long-term market bottom. Do your Christmas shopping early? Click here.
4) Michael Kors (KORS) Buys Versace, for $2.4 billion. The future is in the high end of the market with big margins, where Amazon can’t compete. Click here.
5) Oil Breaks $80, a four-year high. OPEC calls Trump’s bluff and cuts back output. That other destroyer of economies, in addition to interest rates, is making its move. Click here.
Published today in the Mad Hedge Global Trading Dispatch and Mad Hedge Technology Letter:
(THE MARKET OUTLOOK FOR THE WEEK AHEAD, or IT’S FED WEEK),
(SPY), (XLI), (XLV), (XLP), (XLY), (HD), (LOW), (GS), (MS), (TLT),
(UUP), (FXE), (FCX), (EEM), (VIX), (VXX), (UPS), (TGT),
(TEN TIPS FOR SURVIVING A DAY OFF WITH ME),
(BAD NEWS FROM MICRON TECHNOLOGY),
(MU), (BABA), (KLAC), (LRCX), (INTC), (AMD), (NVDA), (HPQ)