If there were ever a deep lagging indicator, it is a downgrade by a ratings agency. While the housing market peaked in 2006, these despised institutions didn’t get around to marking paper down from triple “A” to junk until four years later. Then in August, 2011, Standard and Poor’s downgraded U.S. Treasury bonds. After that, [...]
You are all well aware of my love affair with the Chinese Yuan (CYB), which I expect to appreciate substantially in coming years off the back of China’s continuing economic miracle. Bill Ackman, of Pershing Square Capital Management fame, has come up with his own variation, that of piling on a leveraged long in the [...]
The dinosaur bone market has crunched. Once a favorite collectible of high-flying hedge fund managers, the prices of everything from tyrannosaurus rex to brontosaurus fossils have skidded. A recent auction of a triceratops skeleton failed to reach its minimum bid of $1 million. Even prices for fossilized dinosaur excrement, a popular niche market, have gone [...]
“Buy and hold is unfortunately completely out the door. People have to be more active than ever before. It is going to be very difficult for individual investors. You are going to end up with a return of 5% or so best case.” said Jeffrey Gundlach, CEO of fixed income manager Doubleline.
Come join me for lunch for the Mad Hedge Fund Trader’s Global Strategy Update, which I will be conducting in Washington DC at noon on Friday, October 19, 2012. A three course lunch will be followed by a PowerPoint presentation and an extended question and answer period. I’ll be giving you my up-to-date view on [...]
Given the sudden uptick in trade alerts I have been sending out to my Global Trading Dispatch subscribers, some 60 since August 10, I have been inundated with requests for how to execute these. So I thought I’d take some time today to expound on the basics of order execution 101. There are three basic [...]
“It’s an ugly contest; do you want the dollar, the euro, or the yen,” said hedge fund legend, Ray Dalio of Bridgewater Associates.
As a potentially profitable opportunity presents itself, John will send you an alert with specific trade information as to what should be bought, when to buy it, and at what price.
I can just imagine how Ben Bernanke’s announcement of QE3 went down at Mitt Romney’s campaign headquarters in Massachusetts last week. Doors slammed, heads pounded against walls, and hair was torn out. You can almost hear the whoosh of resume’s flying down to conservative think tanks on Washington DC’s “K” street as campaign workers scramble [...]
“The nice thing about gold is that it has no PE multiple. Because it earns and yields nothing, gold is a speculation on the systematic debasement of currencies by central banks,” said Jim Grant of Grant’s Interest Rate Observer.
Come join me for lunch for the Mad Hedge Fund Trader’s Global Strategy Update, which I will be conducting in Las Vegas, Nevada on Friday, September 28, 2012. A three-course lunch will be followed by a PowerPoint presentation and an extended question-and-answer period. I’ll be giving you my up-to-date view on stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, [...]
I received another one of those scratchy cell phone calls from my friend in the West Texas oil patch. You could almost feel the dust coming through the ether. He said that while Ben Bernanke his committed to buying $40 billion a month of mortgage-backed securities as part of QE3, he has not promised to [...]
“China is the classic emerging market roach motel, except it’s a really big one. It is very difficult to earn adequate returns on capital and to get your capital back as a westerner,” said Jim Chanos of hedge fund Kynikos Associates.
Thank you so much for the newsletter you sent out – I really enjoyed reading it. You’ve got quite a unique and engaging style as a writer, world traveler/lecturer and of course, trader. I’m glad to see your performance numbers catapulted you to the top percentile of the hedge fund ranks – all the best [...]
Those transfixed by gold blasting through the $1,750 level have been missing the real action in silver. The white metal has soared 34% to $34 since the beginning of the year, compared to only a 14% move for the barbaric relic, an outperformance of 2.4 to one. I have been a raging bull on the [...]
- Follow Up to Trade Alert – (GLD) May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013
- Trade Alert – (GLD) May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013
- May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013
- Introducing the Mad Day Trader May 20, 2013
- A Special Note to Trade Alert Followers May 20, 2013
- Revisiting the First Silver Bubble May 20, 2013
- May 20, 2013 – Quote of the Day May 20, 2013
- May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013
- An Evening With Congressman Barney Frank May 17, 2013
- The Most Functional Word in the English Language May 17, 2013
- SOLD OUT! San Francisco November 4th Strategy Luncheon October 25, 2011
- My 2012-13 Stock Market Forecast. October 31, 2012
- Last Chance to Come Join Me for the Paris Strategy Luncheon – July 17, 2012 July 15, 2012
- Will Gold Coins Suffer the Fate of the $10,000 Bill? November 25, 2011
- My Personal Leading Economic Indicator November 25, 2011
- SOLD OUT! December 27 Chicago Strategy Luncheon December 22, 2011
- An Evening With the Chinese Intelligence Service December 25, 2011
- Take a Look at Occidental Petroleum (OXY) December 26, 2011
- Another Nail in the Euro Coffin January 16, 2012
- Sold Out! Las Vegas January 27, 2012 Strategy Luncheon January 23, 2012